Serve in OM New Zealand
Team Leader for Outdoor Discipleship Course
Our new outdoor adventure-based ministry programme, Off the Grid, focuses on developing & training young adults for Christian service. The role requires proven management/oversight experience in Christian ministry & adventure based discipleship, as well as competency and professional qualifications in outdoor pursuits.
Start date: As soon as possible; 1st intake planned for 2013
Location: Motueka, NZ (Nelson region, South Island)
It is expected that the successful incumbent would:
- Provide an environment that encourages both growth and maturity in the Christian faith of the participants.
- Oversee the spiritual development of the participants throughout the programme.
- Teach the daily Bible study curriculum presented in the study guide & facilitate any related discussions.
- Lead the daily worship, prayer & reflection times.
- Train participants in the explanation & defence of their Biblical worldview in accordance with a proper interpretation of scripture and OM New Zealand’s Statement of Faith.
- Mentor, coach & provide counsel to participants when dealing with various issues and challenges during the programme. Provide tools and insight on dealing with life issues in preparation for the future.
- Assist participants with the development of their personal ministry plan and advise them of opportunities of service within OM that are in keeping with our core values & ministry focus.
- Lead the day to day outdoor adventure activities and ensure compliance with the required health & safety regulations as per industry standards.
- Oversee the day to day logistics, finance and communication.
- Recruit, develop and manage assistant team leaders & oversee their daily activities.
- Facilitate strategic partnerships with NZ churches & other organisations to accommodate participation in local ministry and community development.
- Establish and maintain the strategy of the programme to ensure its relevancy with the participants & achievement of desired specified outcomes set forth by OM.
Requirements and Characteristics
- A mature Christian who has experience leading young adults (18-30yr olds) in a relevant manner through Bible study, life experience, self example and group facilitation.
- Be flexible, sensitive and accommodating to different personalities & cultures.
- Have the ability to think quickly, and make necessary adjustments to a programme based on current needs & realities.
- Possess an above average fitness level to accommodate the programme’s high physical demand through participation in various outdoor sports disciplines/service projects with teams.
- Outdoor group leader with prior field experience & training in necessary professional qualifications (e.g. adventure safety & supervisory qualification, first aid, risk management, gear selection and safe practices.)
- High self & safety awareness with an ability to put personal needs below the needs of others and the team.
- Friendly, light hearted & trustworthy person that is able to encourage others to work through the difficulties and challenges encountered.
- Ability & willingness to travel extensively throughout NZ, driving a van for extended periods of time and staying in the most basic types of accommodation.
- High organizational & communication skills.
- Computer skills with ability to work with or learn OM proprietary software packages.
- Hospitality & cooking skills with the ability to train others as needed.
Please note: All jobs/opportunities on this site are unsalaried. Most people joining OM have to raise financial support to cover their living expenses, usually through gifts from home churches and other supporters.
Visas and working in New Zealand:
Due to OM’s system of financial support, it is not possible to get a standard working visa for foreign nationals to come and work with us in New Zealand. A Religious Worker's visa may be possible for some candidates, but we especially welcome applications from New Zealand and Australian citizens and residents.
Want to know more? Please get in contact with us – we'll call you back.